From Level 0 to IT Support Lead

Speakers: Jason Miller

Level: Fundamental, Lecture

Excerpt: Getting started in tech can be daunting. There are so many questions: Do I have enough of the sought-after technical skills? Can I troubleshoot on-the-spot? Can I read “geek” and translate to English? Will I advance in my career with what I know? This talk will go over my journey from a level 0 tech at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab to my current position as IT Support Lead at Thumbtack. I will discuss all the technical skills I learned were most vital along the way, but I’ll also cover the non-technical skills I used to advance my career.

Description: Getting started in tech can be daunting. There are so many questions: Do I have enough of the sought-after technical skills? Can I troubleshoot on-the-spot? Can I read “geek” and translate to English? Will I advance in my career with what I know? This talk will go over my journey from a level 0 tech at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab to my current position as IT Support Lead at Thumbtack. I will discuss all the technical skills I learned were most vital along the way, but I’ll also cover the non-technical skills I used to advance my career.

About the speaker

Jason Miller (Twitter: @jasonkmiller) – From Level 0 to IT Support Lead – Thumbtack

I look to provide quality IT solutions in a preventative and proactive way to increase everyone’s productivity. I am a Lead Support Specialist at Thumbtack, where I perform assessments, but also acquires and deploys infrastructure to meet the requirements including the integration of different departments and special task applications. Jason actively troubleshoots client systems; installs configures, and maintains workgroup servers; provides support and direction for using Thumbtack services; and trains and mentors interns, new employees and other support staff. I am a board member of Macbrained. www.macbrained.org . Macbrained is an SF Bay Area Mac and iOS-focused community for developers, engineers and administrators alike. Through collaboration and education, we help grow Mac and iOS in the Enterprise and in Education by sharing our personal experiences in supporting and managing the platforms.

This entry was posted in MacAdmins 2017 Sessions. Bookmark the permalink.