Introduction to Cyber Defense (Part 2)

Speakers: Todd Echterling

Level: Fundamental, Hands-on (BYOD for attendees)

Excerpt: Get a hands-on lesson using computer attack and defense tools required to identify vulnerabilities, exploit them to see their full effect on a system.

Description: This workshop will give attendees exposure to the computer attack and defense tools required to identify vulnerabilities, exploit them to see their full effect on a system and patch the systems so that they are no longer vulnerable. It is a good first exposure to the computer defense industry and exercises to prepare students for cyber defense competitions. The workshop will present a brief introduction about legal ramifications of using this knowledge irresponsibly and/or illegally. Attendees will build their virtual cyber penetration testing lab and will break into a computer with open source tools, identify vulnerabilities, and then patch them. Experience in virtual machines and Linux recommended but not necessary.

About the speaker

Todd Echterling (Twitter: @TechToddMU) – – Millersville University

I am currently the Campus IT Security Specialist / Systems Administrator at Millersville University. I have been on the IT staff at MU for 18 years. I also hold other roles on campus as the advisor to the Computer Science Programming team as well as the advisor for the Cyber Defense Organization. Over the Summer months I also teach middle school technology camps on our campus. In my IT career, within the last few years I have started assisting with our Mac Admin on campus with supporting macOS as well as iOS. We recently purchased and implemented Casper to help maintain our assets. On a personal note I have a loving wife and 2 little young men ages 7 and 10.

This entry was posted in MacAdmins 2017 Sessions. Bookmark the permalink.