Your Boss May Suck, But It’s Probably Your Fault

Speakers: Jim Rispin

Level: Fundamental, Lecture

Excerpt: There are only three certainties in this life: death, taxes, and bad management. While we can’t help you live forever or join the tax-free ranks of the 1%, we can definitely help you stop bad management. You may have a horrible boss, but maybe all they need is a little “management” from you. In this session we’ll dive deep into the subtle, but invaluable art of Managing Up. We’ll explore everything from what makes a bad boss bad, to what you can do to help them suck less and work better for you!

Description: If you’ve managed to hold down a job for more than a week of your adult life, you’ve likely come face to face with a bad boss. Collectively, we’ve seen them all: the Gossipy Boss, the Socially Awkward Boss, the Unpredictable Boss, the Narcissist Boss, the Over-Their-Head Boss, and on and on. Dealing with a bad boss not only requires the patience of a saint to stop from slipping rat poison into their coffee, but it drains all your energy for getting quality work done. But what if you had the power to make your boss work better for you? What if you had the knowledge and skills to not only make your boss suck less at their job, but to actually help you do yours better? Before you accuse me of smoking my own office memos, let me tell you, it is possible, it can be done, and I will show you how.

About the speaker

Jim Rispin (Twitter: @jimrispin) – Director of ITS – Fuller Theological Seminary

I’ve been an Apple Sales Rep, a webmaster, a tech support grunt, a dishwasher, a radio disc jockey, and even the backup singer of an a cappella Twisted Sister cover band made up of tone deaf Canadians (we were almost on Star Search #alt-fact). These days I’m mostly interested in exploring ways that leadership can serve as a conduit for my team’s success rather than a barrier.

This entry was posted in MacAdmins 2017 Sessions. Bookmark the permalink.