Advanced systems monitoring with Nagios, PNP and Nconf

Speaker: Josh Malone

Level: Advanced, Lecture

Excerpt: Use Nagios add-ons to provide graphing, trending and web-based configuration.

Description: So, you’re running Nagios, it’s watching all your services, life is good. But…. it could be better!

What if all your admins could set up their own service monitoring all pointy-clicky like? What if your Nagios system could track and graph cool metrics like disk space, IMAP connections, even room temperature? What if you could configure an entire distributed monitoring network from a single web interface?

It is possible!

Nagios add-ons like PNP4Nagios and Nconf add a tremendous amount of functionality and ease-of-use to the Nagios system monitor. This session will cover how to set up and use these add-ons to make your existing Nagios installation even more awesome than it already is. And maybe we’ll even look at a few advanced check plugins for parsing logs and getting details stats from certain servers.

Attendees should already be comfortable installing and running the Nagios monitoring package or one of its compatibles (Shinken, Icinga, etc.)

About the speaker

Josh Malone – NRAO

My name is Josh Malone. I’m a Mac and Linux systems administrator for the National Radio Astronomy Observatory in Charlottesville, VA. I maintain Linux servers, OSX laptops/servers/desktops, and audio-visual systems (conference rooms, auditoriums, etc.). I manage Munki, compile Samba, wrangle MySQL and write PHP dashboards that draw shiney, colorful graphs detailing our 2.5 petabytes spread over 1000 hard drives.

Prior to coming to the NRAO, I was a FreeBSD systems administrator at several smaller companies. I also worked for a while as an embedded Linux engineer for a company that makes ARM-based single-board computers for industrial/commercial use. I used to be a licensed amateur radio operator. Back when it existed, I was also a co-organizer and presenter in the Charlottesville Unix User Group.

This entry was posted in MacAdmins 2015 Sessions, Sessions. Bookmark the permalink.